Saturday, March 7, 2009

He said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" And I answered, "O Lord GOD, You know."
Again He said to me, "Prophesy over these bones and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the LORD.'
Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones, 'Behold I will cause breath to enter you that you may come to life.
'I will put sinews o you, make flesh grow back on you, cover you with skin and put breath in you that you may come alive; and you will know that I am the LORD.'" (Ezekiel 37:3-6)

I haven't read much in Ezekiel lately, maybe ever, but a friend brought up these verses a few days ago and I can't get the imagery that they create out of my head.
There are eleven teenage boys here that need the Lords saving breath, His new life. They need the hope that He offers in these verses. They need Redemption, To be made new.

It has been a stretch for me to "work", if that's what we're calling it, with teenage boys in general, and in a culture and language I'm unfamiliar with. I've wondered a lot about why I felt the Lord leading me towards giving my time to them while I'm here. I wonder this especially when they're disrespectful, and sometimes ridiculous. Then yesterday, I was reminded that my Father loves things that are broken, messy and needy and His heart in me longs to see restoration in their lives, movement toward Jesus and away from their pain. He delights in making us new. Restoring hope to the hopeless, joy for mourning, praise for shame. I love that the Lord sees the ignored, He sees those who get passed by and brushed aside and He stops nad gives them His time, Himself.

I'm leaving this orphanage to go to another one that is under the same ministry. Through a lot of prayer and conversation and waiting it looks like the Lord has closed doors here and let walls remain a barrier. I see the Lord leading me out of this and I'm grateful for that. It is comforting to see Him moving ahead of me. So for the next month I'll be in Jinotega with kids ages 6-18, with all of the teenagers being girls. I can't put words to how excited I am to get to work with teenage girls. I can't wait for opportunities to speak truth and see them grow in faith and knowledge and love with Jesus. The girls up there have a good grasp on english and we're girls, so talking is something we're good at, so I'm looking forward to a lot of good conversation.

I am learning day in and out that life is about Jesus, nothing else. Knowing Him, making Him known. I learn more every day that He alone will satisfy me, He alone is enough, my breath and life. I am in need of prayer as to how to leave this orphanage well. I want to leave words that are constructive and that build on the foundation that the Lord is laying out for this place. I need wisdom and humility to set up next to me and walk around with me for the next few days.
Jesus is beautiful and merciful. Pray for us :)

No comments: